PODD 15: Grid set for The Grid 2 is now available. PODD aficionados are very excited about the first commercially available grid set for speech generating devices and windows computers.
This is the Australian version. UK and USA modified versions are to follow.
PODD product entry and pricing.
What is PODD?
Pragmatic Organisation Dynamic Display (PODD) is ‘a method and tool for developing and utilising augmented language input’. Porter, G. & Cafiero, J.M. 2009. The PODD by Gayle Porter, is currently supplied as resources and templates to develop low tech communication books, through the Cerebral Palsy Education Centre (CPEC).
The PODD is so much more than a communication book. For a start there are 14 versions that vary in complexity and language level. Underlying the PODD are a number of principles which are integral to the system. Smart partner, pragmatic functions, pragmatic branching, expanding vocabulary and colour coding are just some of these principles. Strategies are embedded in the design of the pages for example, space to expand vocabulary, the pragmatic categories and branching, and possibility to customise vocabulary. Other strategies involve the smart partner and the context of the communication. The PODD is becoming known all around the world as it offers the augmented communicator a system for functional, genuine communication which expands and develops in an ongoing way. It is used by children of all ages and adults with the relevant language level.
The PODD 15 grid set for The Grid 2
This grid set is based on the paper templates for the communication book. It parallels the one-page PODDs with expanded functions. It will not be suitable for people already using the more complex PODDs. The development has been checked, modified and amended at every step by Gayle Porter. We have transferred one style of PODD into the format of The Grid 2, with the necessary changes to adapt it to electronic application. This PODD, the PODD 15 is similar to the low tech single page PODDS with expanded functions. Due to the inherent differences between using a low tech system with a smart partner, and a PODD on a speech generating device, this PODD 15 parallels the low tech 12, 16 and 20 cell expanded functions low tech PODDs.
How it works:
- The Grid 2 is the software which runs on windows computers (Win 7, XP, Vista)
- You need The Grid 2 to be installed on the computer first.
- The computer can be a speech generating device with a windows operating system, such as Bespoke, PowerBox 7, or other tablet.
- The computer must be running a full windows operating system; not a mobile platform.
- The Grid 2 uses grid sets which are obtained in a number of ways. A selection of free grid sets is supplied on a CD when The Grid 2 is supplied. Further free grid sets can be downloaded from Sensory Software’s online grids. Some grid sets are licensed and attract an additional cost. These grid sets have been authored by skilled third parties, and so royalties are paid.
- The PODD 15 is a grid set for The Grid 2, which is based on the low tech communication books developed by Gayle Porter. This is a licensed grid set which will attract a fee. Provisionally we can say that this will be in the vicinity of the existing grid set fees.
- The PODD 15 users Picture Communication Symbols (PCS), to provide continuity from the low tech books. Picture Communication Symbols (PCS) is an additional symbol library from a third party supplier (Mayer Johnson) which also attracts a fee. The Grid 2 is supplied with SymbolStix and Widgit symbol libraries, which are included at no additional cost. You will have access to these libraries through The Grid 2, and any additional images you wish to import. The PODD 15 has been designed to use PCS only.
- The Grid 2 is available in a demo format, which will run for 60 days unlicensed.
- Grid 2 can be downloaded from www.installers.sensorysoftware.com.
- If you wish to continue using The Grid 2 after the 60 days a licence will need to be purchased.
- The grid sets, if free will be available on going with a licensed Grid 2.
- The PODD 15 is a licensed grid set, which is also available in demo format which will run for 30 days.
- Once you have donwloaded The Grid 2, please go to the sensory downloads site.
- To use this after the 60 day period a licence will need to be purchased.
- PCS will also be required and must be purchased to use the symbols within the PODD 15 is intended in the design.
- The Grid 2 and the existing grid sets are readily available.
* PODD 15 is NOT available for the iPad. The GridPlayer cannot play THE PODD. The use of the iPad with the Grid 2 is quite separate from the PODD 15. Please see the information about GridPlayer to understand more about it.