Equipment Trial and Loan: Guided Evaluation
Equipment Loan Scheme - Australia only
An important part of choosing the right assistive technology for any individual, is the opportunity to try the equipment. The process of finding the assistive technology of "best fit" may require comparison between devices, and a thorough evaluation day to day contexts. Here at zyteq we recognise this crucial step in the selection process by making our assistive technology available for short-term trial.
We have recently improved and developed our trial program to build in support and guidance throughout the evaluation period. Our experience in operating our 'loan program' over many years demonstrated a clear need for additional support to ensure that the evaluation process is positive and successful for the client and the client's team. Success in this context means meeting the goals of the evaluation.
Our aim is to ensure that as the primary therapist or therapist supervising the trial, we support you in all aspects of the trial including:
- When determining which assistive technology to trial, to establish that the systems selected meets your client's requirements, as much as can be determined ahead of the trial.
- It is also useful to discuss and document the aims of the trial at this stage. We can assist with this step by contributing our knowledge of the assistive technology.
- The checklist that we have a available for use at the end of the trial can be reviewed at this point, as this can also assist with formulating the goals of the evaluation.
- Once you have booked the assistive technology required, we will discuss any preliminary steps to implement prior to the trial.
- Before the equipment is sent out we will assist with supplying any information, demo software, training and support on software as required.
- We will ensure equipment is received prior to the scheduled appointment with your client in which the device will be introduced. If any assistance is required during this opportunity to familiarise yourself with the equipment we can offer support via phone or a SKYPE call. It may be important to set up the device before seeing the client in some cases. In all cases it will be necessary to know what options are available and how to set up the equipment for different scenarios in and responses from the client. We are available to assist with any information or training required so that is the supervising therapist you feel comfortable and confident in the options are available.
- Once the device has been introduced to the client, it is usual for more questions to arise. The client may want a different voice; or to know if the device has other functions and so on. These questions may not have been preempted in the earlier steps, and we would certainly like to help by ensuring you have all the correct answers to the clients questions; and knowledge of how to set up the device to meet the client's needs.
- Towards the end of the trial period you will no doubt be wanting to come to a conclusion about the assistive technology and its suitability and 'best fit' for this client.
- We have a checklist to assist you in this process. We are also available to work through this with you over the phone.
Zyteq has a range of equipment available for short-term loan only, for the following purposes:
- to enable a person to try the equipment to see if it is a suitable
- for support people to experience programming and setting up the device to determine if this process is manageable
- to replace a piece of equipment which is being repaired by Zyteq (subject to availability and not necessarily the identical model). A hire fee applies where loan equipment is to replace equipment being repaired.
- Note: long term loan is not available.
If you are not a therapist, you will be required to nominate a therapist working with the individual who will be trialing the equipment. This therapist may be contacted regarding the loan. It is important that the equipment trial is undertaken with appropriate supports. We prefer to discuss loan requests prior to accepting a booking for loan equipment. Many therapists are regular borrowers and in these cases minimal discussion is required. Zyteq staff reserve the right to conclude that a specific equipment request is not appropriate, and a booking request declined.
Special conditions apply to the borrowing of the Intelligaze systems. These can be discussed at the time of enquiring.
How the Loan Scheme Operates
Contact Zyteq to make a request to borrow equipment. The contact person's name is placed on the waiting list. Waiting times can vary greatly depending on the demand of a particular type of equipment. Waiting time may be from a few days to a number of months.
By preference the contact person should be a therapist, however in some cases direct loans can be made to families and individuals. The contact person will be telephoned when the name has reached the top of the list to be advised that the loan unit will be available soon and to arrange delivery.
Dynamic Display speech generating devices - to ensure that the equipment is used to it's greatest benefit during the loan period, we prefer to send out the communication software ahead of the loan. In this way any programming and editing can be carried out prior to receiving the equipment. Any customised displays can be transferred to the device on loan. This may not be necessary if one of the sample pages is suitable 'out of the box'.
The loan unit will usually be Express Posted to a postal address, or couriered to a street address by TNT Air Couriers (overnight or road service) or personally delivered by a Zyteq representative together with a training session if this has been previously arranged. For the loan period, initial training may be provided in some cases. Ongoing support is available via the FREECALL phone number or a local call if in Melbourne.
Low cost items:
Low cost products are not available for short-term trial through our usual 'loan/trial program'. Instead we offer them on a 'sale or return' basis. This means they can be purchased and a new complete kit or item is supplied, and if it is unsuitable it can be returned within 14 days. A refund will be provided less the original freight cost and less any 're-stocking fee' applicable. A re-stocking fee applies if packaging or components require replacing. If the device and accessories are returned in resaleable condition, a refund will be provided less the original freight charge. This provides the opportunity to try the device while having the option to return it if it is unsuitable.
The loan period varies depending on the item borrowed. Talaras are generally available for a 4 week period; Tellus Smarts, Bespoke, Tellus 4, Zingui, TCL mini voice amplifier, Proxtalker, LightWRITERS and Powerbox 7 for up to 1 or 2 weeks and other equipment according to the list or by negotiation. Loan periods are subject to the waiting list at the time. It is important that the loan equipment is utlised over a period when therapy support is available. It is not possible to pay a fee to extend the loan. Usually others are waiting, so using the short loan period as intensively and effectively as possible should be the aim.
There is no cost for borrowing equipment. The only cost incurred by the borrower is the cost of returning the device to South Melbourne by the specified methods, namely registered post, or platinum express post or courier.
Terms of the Loan
The equipment MUST be returned by the agreed return date, and it MUST be either couriered by a reputable courier company or posted by Platinum Express Post or REGISTERED POST (an additional charge above the cost of postage), or personally delivered to Zyteq in Port Melbourne. Please obtain quotes from courier companies especially if you do not have an account. Post is usually more cost effective. After the agreed return date, a period of a few days grace will be given, following which a fee on $100.00 per week will be charged for late return of loan equipment, for 4 weeks, followed by an invoice for the retail value of the item, less any fees paid.
If there are any difficulties with operating the equipment during the loan period, or in returning it by the agreed date, the borrower MUST contact Zyteq immediately.
If a loan of a week or so is not appropriate, another option is an 'on the spot' equipment trial. This is a brief opportunity for the potential user to try the equipment on the spot. It is not left with the individual for trial using this option. Usually this would happen when a Zyteq staff member is in your region and able to bring the equipment to you. This is readily available in Melbourne and by negotiation for interstate and country Victoria regions. This is an ideal method to have the equipment presented in a comprehensive manner with accessories and options available and fully explained. Please note: this is not an assessment for equipment.
Equipment available for short-term trial
speech generating devices
accessories for speech generating devices (only with the device)
switches and accessing
(switches are usually only available with our other systems)
items available on 'sale or return' basis
(see above for terms and conditions)
Please ask for demo CDs for:
The Grid 2
Mind Express 4